You know you've been in the States for over a year when:
1) You are not surprised when people start asking you in mid September what your kids are going to wear for Halloween. (What's more, you even have it sorted, having craftily picked up a couple of $5 costumes from a secondhand sale).
2) When local mothers start on their favourite conversation of which doctor or dentist in town is the best, you can happily join in (rather than wondering why the hell they don't just go to their nearest one?)
3). You finally know what the following food items are (even if you had to look them up on Wikipedia)
c) An 'open-faced meatball hero'
The last two were on Littleboy 2's school lunch menu. UK readers, any guesses without rushing to Wiki?
4. You don't have to spend embarrassing moments in shops trying to work out what's going on with your small change (clue: five cents is bigger than ten cents).
5. You don't refuse a lift home from someone, even if you just live around the corner and are quite happy to walk. They will just think you are weird.
6. You have already started thinking about what you'll be doing at Thanksgiving....