Monday 23 January 2012

Snow embarrassment

The first snowfall of the season, and a very civilized one it was too. A respectable four inches, which meant that everything looked icing-sugar pretty when we woke up on Saturday morning, but not so outrageous that it meant several hours spent shoveling ourselves out of a hole (like last year).

It was still snowing heavily, but in a fit of enthusiasm, and thinking the roads might be a bit slippery for driving, we decided to walk the mile or so to Littleboy 1's football practice. The boys had already been playing outside for a good half hour by the time we had to leave, and were suitably snowy. I put Littleboy 1's soccer gear in a bag, donned my ski clothes and boots, and we set out. The Doctor and Littleboy 2 followed behind; the idea was that they would come halfway just for the walk and then come home.

It soon dawned on me, as the snowflakes stung my eyes, that 1) walking into a blizzard was not actually that much fun and 2) we had not allowed nearly enough time to get there on foot. Littleboy 1 managed to fall into a slushy puddle within the first hundred yards, soaking his gloves and jacket, and then proceeded to moan and whinge for the entire journey. The snow was in his eyes...he was too tired....he was cold....why on earth hadn't we driven...and so on (you get the picture). Trying to march as fast as I could, I kept having to backtrack to hurry him up, coaxing him up the snowy roads like a little donkey.

Eventually we arrived, 15 minutes late, at the school gym where it takes place. Everyone else (well about half of everyone there normally is, one half having wussily stayed at home while the other 50% made it there warm and dry in their SUVs) was playing football. All the parents solemnly watched as I stripped Littleboy 1 to his underwear, dressed him again, and then proceeded to hang various bits of sodden clothing around the gym, on whatever I could find.

Luckily he regained his enthusiasm within minutes and was off to kick the ball around. But then The Doctor and Littleboy 2 appeared. Littleboy 2 had determinedly followed us the whole way - I think he thought he was going to miss out on something. He was also covered in snow from head to foot, so I had to remove yet more socks, gloves etc. and find places to hang it up, as The Doctor went home to dig the car out.

I could tell they were all thinking, Crazy British Mother, but tried to carry on as if nothing remarkable were happening. Yes, every day I remove a load of wet ski clothing and find door handles to hang it on. Yes, I thought it would be a really good idea to walk a mile in a blizzard with two small children. Yes, I'm looking really quite calm, considering, sitting down to look at my iPhone now, just like the rest of you.

I really quite enjoy it sometimes........

11 comments:

Muddling Along said...

I'm guessing that your average American snow is a bit harder core than the UK stuff... At least you remembered to dress them sufficiently warmly, I've had to wrap mine in my jacket before now when I've been caught out

Dorset Dispatches said...

Carry on promoting the Crazy British Mother. Love the idea of you just carrying on like normal with their damp clothes musting away on the radiators.

MsCaroline said...

Ha, loved this mental picture! My excuse when my best-laid plans go awry is always, "It seemed like a good idea at the time."
Either way my hat's off to you for promoting some exercise and getting your kids out of the SUV!

Iota said...

Pity you didn't have a thermos of tea to complete the picture.

Nota Bene said...

Yep. Brits. Mad as a box of frogs.

Tanya (Bump2Basics) said...

If I find myself living back in NY at some point I hope I can bring some CBMisms into the picture - now that I've got them I wouldn't trade them! x

Potty Mummy said...

Oh, and following on from Iota's comment, some cucumber sandwiches...

About Last Weekend said...

I never lose that joy with snow - it does bring out the kid in you that's for sure. And it makes everything look so pretty, even dirty old streets.

angelsandurchinsblog said...

well done on your Blitz spirit, nice to confirm some positive stereotypes.

nappy valley girl said...

Muddling Along - after the previous winters we've had, we're fully prepared with all the gear. But apart from skiing, we've hardly needed it this year.

Pants - well being America, there weren't any radiators as such, so I had to improvise with things like door handles and er, a soccer goal.

MsCaroline - one of the reasons we walked is we don't own an SUV; we have a plain Honda Accord, which isn't quite so great in falling snow....

Iota - what a briliant idea. Next time, I'll make sure to take one!

NB - Crazy and proud, that's my motto.

Tanya - oh, you should...

PM - Another great suggestion! Maybe some Hobnobs as well.

ALW - well it only lasted a day, but it was pretty while it did....

angels - we do our best!

'Cross the Pond said...

I miss snow. There was a brief flurry the other day, here in London. It was too exciting for words. It quickly turned to icy rain and hail. Dang. I'd love a good, proper NY/New England snowstorm - just one.