Wednesday 6 August 2014

Betwixt two houses

Yes, I've changed the title of the blog. And the picture. (Don't worry, it's a work in progress).

At the moment we're between two houses. Well, actually we're in both. We've taken possession of the new one and are slowly moving carloads of stuff up the hill to Crystal Palace. This was supposed to make the final move (later this month) less painless, but it's debatable whether in fact it just prolongs the agony.

I have learned a few things:

1. Driving along the speed bump-dotted roads of Southeast London with a fully laden car is easier said than done.

2. However much stuff you think you have packed up, there is ALWAYS more.

3. Unpacking is a lot more fun than packing.

4. Taking half your kitchen equipment to the new house is only a good idea if you can remember what is where.

5, Children have been kept happy by being allowed to bring another box of Lego every time we make the trip. That, and the fact that there are blackberries in the new garden.

It's all a bit fraught, but one thing I am really pleased about is this: every time I open the door of the new house and walk in, it feels good. It's light, it's airy and it feels a lot more like home than our rented house ever did, even after a year.  That's got to be a good sign, right?

8 comments:

Metropolitan Mum said...

Ah, how I envy you! So you sold your old place? Awesome! We are still looking for a buyer, but apparently the market is picking up again now. Wait and see...
Btw, I find packing much more fun than unpacking. I'll tell you what, you come to Sweden and unpack my last 40 boxes, and I'll take care of your house in London.

Fourdownmumtogo said...

I feel your pain. We are due to move in this weekend, all things being equal, but I have been living out of boxes for almost four months now and it is NO FUN! Still your new house looks lovely and soon, I keep telling myself, all this will be a distant memory.

Unknown said...

That's a VERY good sign. Wishing you lots of love in your new home, how exciting!

Expat mum said...

Love the new blog name.

Was Living Down Under said...

"Every time I open the door of the new house and walk in, it feels good. It's light, it's airy and it feels like home." I LOVE that feeling. It's the feeling I get when whenever we've gone to look at a place to move to. If I don't get the "feeling", we don't move there!

As it stands, I don't like either packing or unpacking. If only someone would invent a shut your eyes, click your heels method of moving things.

Congrats on your new page and your new home!

Melissa said...

Welcome to your new home. It sounds fab (packing and unpacking less so). Also love the new name.

Nota Bene said...

Hey good luck....bet you unpack loads and say, "Why did we keep this?" Have fun...it must be great to have a 'HOME' again...

Iota said...

I like the new title! Good luck with the unpacking.