Do you ever get that sense of the absurd when you're talking to your children?
- No, you're not bringing that tree branch in the car with us.
- Or that stick.
- Don't squeak when I'm driving.
- No, you are not taking your schoolbus to nursery.
- Take that marble out of your ear now....
- Please stop that squeaking.
- I don't think it's polite to quack at your teachers
- Or call them 'hot dog'
- Or 'broccoli...'
- No, I am supposed to be getting ready to go out for the evening, not looking for pictures of llamas on the computer...
- If you don't stop that squeaking now....
- Your teacher said 'No potty words in circle?' What is a potty word?
- No, poopy is not a nice word.
- Or even proper English.
- I don't care if Sam said it.
- Yes, you are supposed to draw a picture of a Thanksgiving feast for homework. What do you think you would have?
- No, not hot dogs....
(with apologies to Millennium Housewife, who writes this sort of thing SO much better....)