Monday 4 February 2013

Short musings on the Super Bowl.

Does wanting to watch Downton Abbey on PBS rather than the Super Bowl on CBS mean that I am mentally adjusting to our return to England?

I don't think so. I seem to recall it was the same last year. I mean, I just cannot understand American Football. Ten seconds of play, some rather violent shoving, then it's on to the next 'timeout' or ad break. No wonder plenty of people watch it purely for the ads.

Although it did seem appropriate that this year's big game featured a "power outage". That seems to be such a feature of American life now that it seemed almost symbolic. That you can go from the multi-million dollar pyrotechnics of Beyonce's performance to a massive blackout in a few minutes just seems to sum up the extremes of life in the USA. Not to mention that player dropping the "F-bomb" live on camera at the end of the game, in conjunction with the word "awesome".

Anyway. Give me Maggie Smith over huge men in tight trousers, ads for Bud Light and pompom girls any day. Maybe I really have been here too long.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Entirely understandable...although Beyonce was pretty fierce.

Expat mum said...

I just kept running in from the other room every time a commercial came on, and yes, for us that power cut was perfectly timed for some Downton.

MsCaroline said...

Maybe it's the fact that I grew up overseas and didn't get correctly indoctrinated at an early age, but I've never enjoyed watching American football. It was actually a relief not to have to go to a SuperBowl party this year since I always spend the whole evening standing around trying to find someone to talk to who has no interest in the game either. The ads and the halftime show are the only things worth watching, imho.

Becky said...

American friends have tried to explain American football to me, but I still don't get it, so now I just cheer when they cheer!

Iota said...

I never got the Super Bowl (oops, just mistyped that as Super Blow!)

Only Best For Baby said...

I find it very confusing!