Sunday 3 July 2011

Karaoke, New York style

The wise and wonderful Knackered Mother of Wine Club fame (who has recently been voted one of the five blogs to watch by no less than The Guardian), has tagged me in a meme to write about karaoke, and which song I would pick if I were to partake in this particular activity.

Now this is a little tricky. I haven't sung karaoke for years (unless you count warbling along to the radio in the car, which normally provokes shouts of 'Be quiet, Mummy!' from the Littleboys). I was also wondering to myself how my time in America has also influenced my taste in music, because although you might think we listen to much the same music on both sides of the pond - and to some extent that's true - it is different in many subtle ways.

For a start, American radio does not play British pop stalwarts such as Robbie Williams, Kylie Minogue or Girls Aloud. There are British artists who have definitely made it here and are played constantly on American radio (eg. Coldplay) - but others who haven't (eg. the brilliant Elbow). Our local radio station plays a lot of Billy Joel - he's from Long Island, so perhaps it's not surprising - but it's impossible here to hear the latest from Take That.

In America, even mainstream radio tends to include a little bit of country. (Do they play Lady Antebellum on British radio? I doubt it.) and I think this has come to influence my musical taste. I've always liked Sheryl Crow and Shania Twain, but since coming here I've discovered Taylor Swift. So I guess you might find me warbling along to Taylor's Love Story, or (to be even more All American) about being on the bleachers and wearing sneakers. But I fear I'd be outdone by the ultra-confident nine year old girls who I heard belting out these numbers up on the karaoke stage at our town's summer festival recently.......

So, I think I'd have to settle for a song that sums up my time in New York so far. I may not have seen my name in lights down on Broadway, but I definitely share Alicia Keys' sentiments in this one.

10 comments:

Tanya (Bump2Basics) said...

Great song choice, shows you are really becoming a convert New Yorker :) Can you actually sing in tune? I can't.

About Last Weekend said...

Yes, I also know all the words to many of Taylor's numbers, part of being in America I guess...my music knowledge has stagnated a bit since I got here.

Home Office Mum said...

the last time I sang kareoke I was in upstate New York. It was late. I was drunk. It was a Japanese place. I sang Dancing Queen by Abba. I started singing and heard a godawful noise, like a cat being strangled. I stopped singing to hear what it was. The noise stopped. I started singing and it started again. Took me a while to realise the awful noise was me. Have never done it again.

Nota Bene said...

You're safe from Girls Aloud there? I'm coming straight over!

MsCaroline said...

I've never sung Karaoke in my life, although I've listened to others doing it. I don't listen to much pop music at all; I tend to find out what's popular based on what the instructor is playing in spin class (sad, I know), although that may change now that we're in Seoul. I've heard that the Korean version of Karaoke is called 'Norebang' and that it's done in small, private rooms for a group of friends instead of a larger venue, like a bar, which seems much less intimidating. Of course, in order for me to even consider doing Karaoke, I would really have to be three sheets to the wind anyway, so the issue of location would probably be a moot point...

Metropolitan Mum said...

To pluck up the confidence to do it, I would need to drink so much I couldn't stand on that stage anymore, let alone sing.

MommyHeadache said...

I am from UK living in USA and am annoyed at how here everyone seems to try and do 'American Idol' type thingie at Karaoke when I always thought it was just to have a laff http://mommyhasaheadache.blogspot.com/2009/11/kultural-karaoke-konfusion.html

nappy valley girl said...

Tanya - I wouldn't say I am a fantastic singer but I have sung in choirs etc over the years. (Not sure I could really manage Alicia Keys, though).

ALW - I feel the same, I hear much less new music here I think.

HOM - giggling. Just giggling.

NB - Ah but I trade you Miley Cyrus for GA!

Ms Caroline - if they are anything like the Japanese bars, you'll do well to avoid them!

Met Mum - yes, I don't think I've ever sung karaoke sober. But that's part of the fun....

Emma- just read your post; haha at the 50 year old Chinese lady singing Britney Spears! Haven't been to karaoke here - but Americans do tend to take things like that seriously....

geekymummy said...

I love belting out a bit of Carly Simon. "Nobody does it better/the spy who loved me" is a favourite of mine.

Though this being San Francisco I'm invariably outsung by a big bloke in a glittery dress and heels!

Jimmy said...

great song choice, make sure they have a good karaoke system that makes so much difference and the quality of the backing track. Good Luck aswell.