Wednesday 23 November 2011

Giving thanks...

Thanksgiving is almost up on us, and life has been fairly hectic. Even the Doctor (who only reads my blog every few weeks) commented the other day that I haven't been posting as much as I used to.

There are several reasons for this. The main one is that I am just too busy. I work every day, writing for a magazine website, between nine and three at home, and then the boys come home from school at 3.15. I fit in shopping, laundry and everything else when I have a quiet moment at work, and then have fifteen minutes in which to mentally switch between work mode and 'Mummy' mode. Then between three and six, it's homework, reading, piano practice, and activities; swimming lessons, music lessons, playdates. Time to cook dinner, then we're into the whole bed and bath routine. By the evening I am too shattered, plus less keen on spending hours at a laptop I've already slaved over all day.

I've also been gearing up for a five mile run which takes place in our town every Thanksgiving morning, so my energies have been going somewhat more into exercise than usual. (The 'Turkey Trot' , as it's known, is a Thanksgiving tradition in many American towns, although it sounds like something you might come down with on holiday in Bodrum). And I had a lovely weekend catching up with my dear friend Four Down Mum To Go, who was in town for her birthday present and busy emptying the Manhattan stores of their wares.

But another reason is that things are relatively quiet and calm. I loved this recent post by Iota, in which she explains her less frequent postings on her blog by the fact that she is both busy and happy. It's similar here.

I'm into the start of my third year here as a Brit in America, so I'm no longer so bewildered by American customs, language or idiosyncrasies (although some still fox me occasionally) that they seem worth commenting on. I don't have to do anything like take a driving test, apply for a credit card or find out about the American school system. After all the excitement of the tree drama and house move, I feel as if things are on an even keel - and that suits me just fine, thanks very much. I'm not asking for drama.

There will undoubtedly be more blog fodder coming up soon. The "Holidays" are fast approaching, we've got trips to California and Vermont lined up, and the Littleboys are hilariously taking part in a piano recital. (Update: Littleboy 1 has now, amazingly, discovered that he LOVES the piano and is practising non-stop without even being asked to. Littleboy 2 is determinedly refusing to practice his recital pieces.)

But, in the spirit of Thanksgiving (when all American schoolchildren are asked to draw multiple pictures of things they are thankful for, as well as the ubiquitous handprint turkey art), this week I am thankful that all is relatively peaceful.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm surprised you ever have time to blog with everything you're doing! Good luck with your run and Happy Thanksgiving. x

Bush Mummy said...

Gosh can't believe you've been there three years? Where does the time go? So glad to hear you are settled and happy. Enjoy the peace. Happy Thanksgiving from W12.

BM x

MsCaroline said...

"Busy and happy" sounds good enough to me. When my boys were small and I was still working full-time, I doubt that I'd have been able blog at all. Looking forward to hearing about your travels and especially the recital. Enjoy the turkey art and have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Nota Bene said...

Peaceful is good. Definitely.

Paradise Lost In Translation said...

Good, I'm so glad for you. Peacefulness & contentment. What blessings! Enjoy Thanksgiving. What a great tradition:o) Us Brits could learn a thing or two from this custom

Iota said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Iota said...

What a great Thanksgiving post.

I think it's a pity that the mummy blogging world is a little defensive about blogging as an antidote to the isolation/loneliness/boredom/bewilderment of being a mum - or an expat for that matter. (Perhaps it isn't so much these days, but in the early days whenever that was suggested, it created a big uproar.) I think there are inevitably times in our lives when things are hard, and blogging seems to me a really very creative way of getting through. Much better than lots of the other addictions that people have. And so often, it seems to lead to new opportunities, or a new self-confidence, or the love or writing, or commercial partnerships, or other really positive things.

Happy Thanksgiving!

geekymummy said...

Sounds like everything is going wonderfully! It's good to be busy. I rarely have time to blog either, new responsibilities at work have me reading and writing science instead of blogs. I miss both reading blogs and blogging though, hence I'm catching up over this much needed holiday! Happy thanksgiving to you all.