Tuesday 6 July 2010

While everyone else was at Cybermummy....

So I didn't make it to Cybermummy, the Mummy Bloggers conference this weekend. (The reason is simple; we'd already planned a trip back to the UK in August, and I just couldn't justify shelling out for another return airfare from New York to London.) So I didn't get to spend the weekend gallivanting with a bunch of witty, fun and intelligent bloggers in Earls Court. Or listening to fascinating debates and lectures about how to get the most out of blogging. I hope to get to the next one (please say you're going to organise another one, Susanna).

So what was I doing when the rest of the blogosphere was quaffing white wine and chatting?

Trying to keep cool in 35 degree heat. (As I write, the temperature is pushing 100F, or 'the century mark', as someone on the radio described it this morning. The weather forecast symbol is not for a cheery yellow sun, but a red ball of fire looking like something out of a nuclear war).
Watching Germany v Argentina with two German families (and enjoying their success vicariously)
Swimming with my boys in the sea and the town pool. (Littleboy 1 can now officially swim - hurrah!)
Watching swarms of American families pitch up at the beach with barbecues, hammocks, coolboxes, entire collections of toys and the kitchen sink on their annual Indpendence Day pilgrimage. We arrived at 10 and left at 1pm - by which time there was a four mile tailback to the beach carpark.
Hosting and cleaning up after two evening parties (luckily The Doctor did most of the cooking)
Sitting outside in the darkness watching fireflies and listening to the hum of the cicadas, which have just started up this weekend.
Watching the Macy's Fourth of July New York fireworks show on TV (with two cynical British friends who though it was terribly cheesy.....it seemed fine to me, which just goes to show I am just used to these things now)
Repeatedly hosing and sprinkling the garden
Repeatedly hosing and sprinkling the Littleboys
Changing the Littleboys in and out of wet, sandy or muddy clothes (from their new favourite game of making mud pies, or 'pancakes' in buckets)
Retrieving the Littleboys from one or other of our neighbours' houses
Putting the washing machine on
Preparing the boys' bags for the first day of camp - towel, change of clothes, lunch, photograph of them, Ziploc bag of clothes.....kitchen sink.....

Phew.

This morning I dropped them off at 9.30 at two different locations (luckily near each other) for camp, rushed back to write a feature, rushed off again at 12 to pick them up. Then I rinsed out their dirty towels and swimsuits, found dry ones, and took them off to swimming lessons. We are now back to discover that the outdoor picnic/concert we planned to attend this evening is cancelled due to the ferocious heat (news which I have to say is rather relieving).

So, as you can see, I have been pretty busy. Busy enough not to really mind about Cybermummy, (although I do feel a little left out). Please tell me it doesn't matter.......

9 comments:

Deer Baby said...

sounds like you had a 'real life' time - fabulous. Cybermummy was great - but being with your family is even greater. We raised a glass to absent friends. Here's to next year!

Anonymous said...

The heat won't break for at least a week. I'm trying to convince my sister to bring her kids for, you know, SUMMERTIME "bring your kid to work day", but she's not buying it.

A Modern Mother said...

But you were there in spirit. I was thinking of you, when all the expats were together. I think you were number 2 on BMB. Anyway, as you say, next year. Your summer sounds wonderful. We're heading off to California and I'm looking forward to every day at the swimming pool and continous sunshine (I've heard the weather is about to break here).

Unknown said...

I too missed Cybermummy due to holding a party for 18 pirates for my eldest boy's 6th birthday, so you are not alone! Sounds like you had a great weekend.

Dorset Dispatches said...

We missed you there, but sounds as if you and the LBs had a brilliant time. Everyone is talking about next year already. See you there!

Expat mum said...

Missed you but Iota is talking about expats over here getting together, so who knows.

Elsie Button said...

i am with you on that one - i too felt a little left out of cybermummy (my reasons are much much crapper than your very very good reason for not going)

i know what you mean about the red ball of fire instead of a happy yellow sun, my heart sinks when on the odd occasion it appears on my telly (hasn't yet this year i don't think but you never know)

sounds like you having a lovely summer x

nappy valley girl said...

Deer Baby - thanks. Yes, being with the family is always good, even if a litle exhausting...

Conuly - it's a little cooler today out here....just glad I'm not right in the city.

Susanna - I really was thinking of you all. Enjoy California.

Knackered Mother - I bet that was a riot!

PantswithNames - I'll be booking a flight as soon as the date is announced...

Expatmum - yes, well I was supposed to organise something, wasn't I, but everything else keeps getting in the way! Would love to meet though.

Elsie - maybe we will both make it next year and we can get together as Cybermummy virgins....

Tanya (Bump2Basics) said...

Would have loved to meet you at Cybermummy but can totally see why you couldn't make it there. Glad you are doing alright in all the heat....the air conditioning helps at these times, right? How are those swimming lessons going for the boys? x